News, events, and musings from the Pilgrim’s Inn
Many of the changes made at the inn are also things you can do right at home. For example, the US EPA estimates that if every household in American replaced just one incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent it would be the environmental equivalent of taking 800,000 cars off the road. We have replaced 90% of our incandescent lights with compact fluorescent lights (CFL’s) saving thousands of kilowatt hours every year and reducing our energy costs. You can find CFL’s at most hardware/household stores and many states have programs offering cash rebates.We have also introduced non-toxic plant based cleaning supplies in the inn which are now available at most grocery stores and have cleaning powers equal to traditional, but more harmful cleaners. Below are other actions we have taken to help reduce our environmental impact.
- Replaced individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion with dispensers -- saving thousands of these bottles from ending up in landfills every year.
- Replaced our septic system with highly efficient system that produces very clean water as an effluent
- Using Gilchrist & Soames “Bee Kind” bathroom amenities which contain no petroleum derived ingredients and where a portion of revenue is being used to support research honey bee and sustainable pollination research.
- Recycle bottles, newspapers. ink cartridges and plastic
- Use 100% recycled office paper and we always use both sides of office paper
- Install only low flow toilets and faucets
- Provide guests with the option not to change their sheets and towels changed every day
- Purchase Maine “Wind Watts”, which are renewable energy credits that help replace non-renewable energy with renewable energy in the electric grid.
- Replaced styrofoam to go containers with biodegradable containers made from sugar cane
- Donate our used cooking oil for use as bio-diesel fuel
- Donate our kitchen waste to a local pig farm and compost the remainder
- Grow our own herbs using no pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers and landscape without the use of petroleum based fertilizers or pesticides.
There are many ways that you begin to reduce your environmental impact and we hope we have given you some ideas to start you on your way. If you happen to drive a hybrid vehicle, come visit us at the inn and we will give you $40 off your room rate!
posted by Your Innkeepers @ 10:58 AM